One of my friend that have read my December article Choosing the right Internet Service Provider ask me to help her choose between DSL and Cable Internet connection. There are lots of factors to consider when choosing a DSL or a Cable connection. I gave my opinion to her base on the performance of those two technology on their place. I suggested DSL because it performs best on their place.
Here is a quick and short comparison and to help others out there to choose between a DSL and a Cable connection:
A Cable Internet is basically a dedicated line used to access the internet. Cable are much faster as compare to DSL. The transmission speed of Cable ranges from 64Kbps up to 30Mbps. DSL on the other hand also provides high speed internet access that are usually bundled with a telephone line.
Like all technologies there are advantages and disadvantages in using these two types of internet connection. There are many things to consider before you decide which one is best for you some of those are are connection speed, security, installation fees, monthly rates, and also your area.
DSL Internet Connection
* Data transmission speed ranges from 128 Kbps up to 10 Mbps.
* DSL is a dedicated connection and not shared with other internet user.
* Monthly rates are between 50$ to 100$ (residential use).
* The distance of your provider can also affect your internet speed.
Cable Internet Connection
* Data transmission speed starts from 64 Kbps to 30Mbps.
* Cable Internet is a shared connection, If many people uses the same connection simultaneously your Internet speed will slowdown.
* Rates can be between 30$ to 60$.
* Distance is not a issue. It will not affect your connection speed.