One of the most annoying computer infection I ever encounter is Google redirect virus. If you are reading this post,either you are my regular reader or you’ve been a victim of this virus and wants to know how to remove Google redirect virus.
What is Google redirect virus?
For those who still don’t know how this virus works, let me give you a “hands on” explanation. Say you are searching Google for some research works, assignments or just random browsing. You found what you are looking for, you click the link, but to your dismay, you’ve been brought to a different site. The next link you clicked also brought you to the same site. And the site has no connection to your searches or to the site you are trying to open. In other words–you’ve been redirected! Some of your computer programs won’t run, without producing any error. Also, this Google redirect virus has a capacity to block sites.
Who are usually the victim of this Google redirect virus?
Regular users like you are the usual victim of this Google redirect virus. This virus hijacks your Google searches and then redirect you to another website, that is usually a fake websites with advertisements or corrupted pages.
Where can you get Google Redirect Virus?
Don’t curse Google for this! Google has nothing to do with this virus. Blame it to the crazy head computer genius criminals who created and distributed the malware. You can usually get this annoying virus from visiting a malicious websites with unsecured browsers.
How can you get rid of Google Redirect Virus?
Of course that’s the question you want me to answer. You still don’t need to run to your computer technician or do some formatting to your computer. Follow the instruction below in removing the Google Redirect Virus.
- The first thing you need to do is download tdsskiller from the following link and save it to your desktop. Click to Download TDSSKiller
If for some reason you are unable to download the file then TDSS may be blocking it. What you can do is to download TDSSKiller from a clean computer then transfer it to any external drive or USB flash drive.
- Not that simple as running a regular program. The creator of the google redirect virus is smart enough to know what TDSSKiller can do. But don’t worry we’re wiser than him. First, rename TDSSKiller by right-clicking the TDSSKiller.exe icon from your desktop and select RENAME. Now you can edit the name with any name you want but do not forget that it should end with the .com extension. For example, asdfgh.com or 14344.com. Now that it is wearing a mask, you can proceed with the running of the program.
- Click the Start scan button to scan your computer for TDSS infection. It will then display a result screen to find out any infection was on your computer.
- If the infection is on your computer, you can get rid of google redirect virus by clicking the Continue button. The TDSSKiller will now work on attempting to clear your computer from the infection. If you do not get the message Cure, then just choose the default action Skip and press Continue. Do not attempt to change it to Delete or Quarantine as it may also delete the infected files that are needed for Windows to operate properly.
- Once finished, it will give you a report stating whether the cleaning operation is successful. Reboot is required to finish the cleaning process, so click on the Reboot now button and let it finish the removal of the TDSS infection.
Removing Google Redirect Virus using with FixTDSS.exe
In some cases the TDSSKiller fails to do the job even after renaming the program. If you are unable to remove the virus using TDSSKiller, you can use FixTDSS by Symantec. Follow the steps below to remove google redirect virus using FixTDSS.
- Download the FixTDSS.exe tool from Symantec
- Run FixTDSS.exe then then click the Proceed button to begin the process and allow the tool to complete the cleaning
- Restart your computer
- After reboot, The tool will provide you the scan and cleaning results.
- Check if the Google redirect virus is gone.
All set! Now your computer will be Google redirect virus free.
Removing Google Redirect Virus using Fix Redirect Virus
Fix Google Redirect Virus using FixBrowserRedirect
How to remove Google Redirect Virus manually
- Go to Drive C: (or Wherever drive your Windows is installed)
- Go to Windows –> System32 –> drivers –> etc folder
- Look for the host file
- Reset your host file – Here is the instruction on how you can easily reset your Windows host file