A friend of mine brought his computer to my repair shop. His problem was his computer was continuously rebooting after installing Windows XP Service Pack 3. The computer will start to reboot then give a BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) Stop Error for a second and reboot again. Booting normally is impossible unless you do it on Safe Mode.
This problem only happens on selective machines after upgrading their XP to Service Pack 3. Normally this problem appears when the SysPrep image was created on an Intel based computer, and the sysprep image is deployed on a non-Intel machine such as an AMD CPU. In these cases, the registry entry for Intelppm is incorrectly set that causes your computer to continuously reboot after SP3 is installed.
Follow this steps to resolve this problem.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode.
2. Open your Registry Editor, to do this Click on Start, Go to Run, then type REGEDIT and press Enter.
3. Navigate to the following keys bellow
4. In the right hand column find the entry titled START
5. Change it’s value to 4 and click OK
6. Close the Registry Editor
7. Shut down your computer and restart
Your computer should start normally now.