One of my client went to my shop the other day, his problem was his USB device is not working. I immediately tested it it on my machine to his surprise his USB opens. I said to him that before you conclude that your USB device is not working you should try some basic troubleshooting to find and resolve the problem.
The first thing that you can do to rule out any problems on the device itself is to plug your USB device to a different computer and see if it works there. If it does not work in a different machine, then get ready to buy a new USB device. USB devices like flash drives although very handy and portable can also fail just like any other devices.
However, if your USB device works in another computer just like the case of my client, then the problem is within the configuration of your computer where the device did not work.
To fix this kind of problem follow these easy steps to make your USB device work again.
1. If you are using cable to connect your USB device to your computer, check the cable to make sure it is compatible and matches up with the speed of your device. Swap cables and check the device, if this does not work, proceed to the next step.
2. Open your Device Manager, look for USB Serial Bus Controllers. If you find a device with a yellow exclamation mark next to it such as USB Mass Storage Device. Check the device status by Double-click on the entry. If it shows something like “This device cannot start. (Code 10)” then proceed to the next step
3. The easiest way to fix a Code 10 error is to remove and reinstall all USB controllers, Here are the ways to do that:
- Click on Start
- Right Click on My Computer, Then select Properties
- Click on the Hardware tab
- Click the Device Manager button.
- Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers section.
- Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node, and then remove them by uninstalling them one at a time.
- Restart your computer, and allow your computer to reinstall the USB controllers.
- Plug in again your storage device, and then test to make sure that the problem is resolved.