Having the shutdown button displayed on your Windows XP logon screen can be very inconvenient at times. Your kids or any people that are sharing your computer can accidentally turn off your computer and close all you programs. To prevent this from happening you can just easily disable the “Turn off computer” button.
You can do this in two ways. One is through the Administrative Tools and and second is by editing some registry value.
If you don’t own a Windows XP professional machine then editing the registry will be your only choice. But before you do that make sure that you make a backup of your registry.
Step 1: Disabling using the Local Policy Settings
1. Go to Control Panel
2. Click on Administrative Tools
3. Click on Local Security Policy
4. Under Local Security Settings Go to Local Policies then Security Options. Scroll down, look for “Shutdown: Allow system to be shut down without having to log on”
5. Double click “Shutdown: Allow system to be shut down without having to log on” then select “disabled”
Step 2: Registry Editing
1. Click on Start, Go to Run then type Regedit
2. Navigate to the following key:
3. Change the value of ‘shutdownwithoutlogon‘ to ‘0’.