What is the Malicious Software Removal Tool?
Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool is a tool from Microsoft to help you scan and remove malicious software on your computer. This tool is released for computers running Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, or Windows XP. The Malicious Software Removal Tool uses a signature database they update on a monthly basis.
The Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool does not replace any antivirus or any anti malware programs because it’s database doesn’t have virus signatures and patterns circling around the world wide web. This tool is only meant to scan and prevent any widespread infections on your computer. It is still recommended that you install a good and up-to-date antivirus software.
Malicious Software Removal Tool normally runs in the background to check for nay infections. MRT always runs a quick scan to check for the worst infections. But what if you want to run a Full Scan on your computer for a more and complete result. Below is a super simple step to run Malicious Software Removal Tool manually.
How to Run the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool Manually
- Click on Windows Orb,
- Type MRT and Press Enter
- You will be presented with the screen below then click on the Next button
- You will have the option to select what type of scanning you prefer to run. But I recommend choosing FULL SCAN for more thorough results
- It will now start to scan your computer for any infections and problems.
- You will see the screen below if your computer is infected or not once the scan is completed.
- Click on the View Detailed Results of the Scan option on the Results page if you want to see which viruses, worms, trojans, or any infection the removal tool found.
- Click Finish on the Scan Results page to exit.