Do you know that there are lots of Windows applications, processes and other things that are still unknown to common users? well here are some Windows XP secrets that are worth a look and some you will find useful.
1. Application Secrets.
Hidden Command Line Switch on Defrag
- Go to Start click on Run then Type defrag c: -b. This will defrag the Boot and Application Prefetch information. The same function BootVis is implementing
Image Trails on Paint
- Open any image, To create an image trail just hold down Shift then drag the image around.
Paint 10 X zoom
- Open any image, select the magnifying glass tool then Left-click exactly on the line below the 8 X.
2. OS Secrets.
Hidden Uninstall Options
Warning: Proceed at your own risk.
- First thing you should do is to make a backup of sysoc.inf to do this just browse to C:\Windows\inf\ and make a backup copy.
- Open the original file C:\Windows\inf\sysoc.inf using your notepad.
- Go to Edit and select Replace. In Find what textbox type “hide” and in Replace box place “type”, then select Replace All, save and close the file.
- Go to the control panel, choose Add/Remove, then select Add/Remove Windows Components. You will now see many more Windows components to uninstall.
As a safety precaution just leave or just do not remove anything that you don’t recognize or fully understand what it does. Doing so can break certain functionality of your Windows.
Hidden Control Panel Extensions Control Panel
- Download and install Tweak UI,
- Go to Control Panel and check any item not selected, then “Apply” and “OK”. You will now see the hidden control panel extensions.
Hidden Devices in Device Manager
- Go to the control panel, Choose System, go to Hardware tab and select Device Manager. Select View and Show hidden devices.
Music from the Installer
- Browse to C:\Windows\system32\oobe\images\title.wma and play
Display Hibernate Option on Shut Down dialog on Shutdown
- Click on Start, click Turn Off Computer then press either Shift key to change Stand By button to Hibernate.
If you happen to know any Windows secrets that I missed on this topic please feel free add it up via comment or by sending me a message using my contact form and you will get your deserved credit.